"The Smoke that Thunders" was the traditional name for Victoria Falls before Sir John Livingstone "discovered" the falls in 1855. I have to say that I think that the first name was better suited as the falls create a mist that can be seen and a roar that can be heard from miles away and do not bear any resemblance to Queen Victoria. Jared, Kirsten and I visited the falls last weekend and were thoroughly impressed and felt that their inclusion as one of the 7 Natural Wonders of the World was well warranted. Waterfalls also happen to be my personal favorite natural phenomena, so I was pumped to check out the famed falls first hand. Not only did we get to walk so close to the falls that we were completely drenched from the mist, but we also got to check them out from a helicopter and from a sunset cruise that was way more relaxed than our previous experience in Cape Town the week before.
Our Cape Town friends, Liz and John, are helping a 3rd grader out with his "Flat Stanley" project and asked us to take Stan on our trip to the falls. My account of Stanley's adventures in Zim and a few more pictures appear on Liz's blog in this posting. Despite a few setbacks due to evil malaria medications, we had an awesome trip overall.
No comments:
Post a Comment