Now that we have finally been given our departure date (Mar 23), Jared and I have been making lists of things that we absolutely must do before leaving town. Only two items on the list earned a special star, which indicated things that we would have to miss our departure flight if we hadn't done. One was eat lunch at Mzoli's. Check. The other was climb Lion's Head mountain on the night of a full moon.
This one was a bit harder because, as we all know, a full moon only happens once a month. Knowing that our time in SA was soon coming to an end, we set Feb 28 as the "must climb" date. Normally, this would be totally do-able. Although the climb is a bit steep and challenges some peoples comfort with heights (Mom: "I am not scared of heights, I just don't like being up so high"), we both knew that we were up for the challenge. Enter the Sauvingnon sloppy fest and things get a bit complicated... lets just say that there were several times that I thought that I was going to either pass out, puke, or fall off the mountain and I was in better shape than my beloved companion. Despite the physical hardships and sauvingnon blanc-flavored sweat, we made it!
Not only did we make it to the top, but we got to watch both the sunset and the moon rise.
Although we did not linger for the stargazing and wine drinking that was to come, we had an amazing sense of accomplishment and the light of the moon to help us down the mountain (which apparently wasn't enough to keep me from scraping my knee).
We have now officially checked the two specially starred items off the "to do" list, so there is a chance that we might just make that plane...
No comments:
Post a Comment